I like most people bring my work home with me…… A lot… It is not out of the ordinary lots of people do it, work overtime, weekends whatever it takes to get the job done, right? In my case though my work has 4 legs and a heart beat and big brown eyes that say “please give me some love I’ve been through so much”.
I have been working at the Animal Welfare League of Qld for almost two years now and in that time have brought home:
Billy (now Odie Sanchez) – Chihuahua – ADOPTED
Nipper and Taylor – Kelpie puppies
Max – Mini Poodle x Maltese
Rocky (now Hans Sausage) – Dachshund – ADOPTED
Arya – Shih Tzu x Maltese puppy
Penny and Pixie (now Bella and Missy) – Mini Foxie x Chihuahua puppies – ADOPTED BY FAMILY MEMBERS
Jedi – Border Collie x Cavalier King Charles Spaniel
Olive and Carl – Rottweiler puppies
Pup – Dachshund
Rusty – Corgi – ADOPTED BY A COLLEAUGE
Bells – Chug – ADOPTED BY A FRIEND
15 kittens and 3 cats.
“The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.” | MAHATMA GANDHI
Our home has become a half way house. A place where animals come to recover from a multitude of illnesses, tick paralysis, k9 cough, cat flu or simply needing some time away from the shelter to cope with the loss of their previous family. Hans and Odie have become big brothers to loads of pets much to Hans’ delight and Odie’s detest. When I arrive home with a car carrier or dog crate my partner now gives me the same eye rolldand the sentence, “Brooke what have you brought home now?” followed shortly by “how long is it staying for?” He then hears the back story, gives the pet a hug and falls just as hard as I do.
My latest foster pooch Rusty is going to be very hard to say goodbye to.
The 4 year old Corgi has me wrapped around his little stumpy paw. For the last two weeks he has been with me everywhere. To work, to the gym and for walks with Sausage and Sanchez.
His cartoon characteristics and beautiful demeanor is the epitome of the perfect pet. Which is why it is so horrible to know this gorgeous dog was dumped and left to fend for himself on the streets of Logan with an enlarged prostate and a bladder infection.
He is a submissive dog and has seriously attached himself to me. He is my shadow, if i turn around he is there, he sleeps on the ground next to my bed and waits at the door if I leave the house..
When he is accosted or told no he lies flat on the ground or rolls over which breaks my heart. It seems he has had a less then perfect life before us.
Today he was given a clean bill of health. After 6 weeks of AWLQ care and hundreds of dollars spent he is ready to find his perfect home.
I am so grateful to have been able to help him in some small way along his journey to his 2nd chance and am overjoyed that I will be there on Sunday when he meets his new family.
We love you Rusty!
Rusty loves to work out – Here he is doing flutter kicks with me at the gym
I have found Rusty the perfect home and I am so glad he is going to a family where I can still pop by and visit. He will have another Corgi Brother named Hamish and is sure to be spoilt rotten!
Check them out on YouTube on Rusty’s first night in his new home.
So what is Fostering?
The AWLQ does not turn any animal in need away from it’s doors, to do that they need the communities help. A high percentage of the animals who need fostering are kittens and puppies. These babies make up approximately 95% of the Foster Program requirements. The other 5% is made up of mums with babies (we try to keep these together for at least 5-6 weeks), and older animals who may need time to recover from surgery, non-contagious infections, malnutrition or from over-indulging.
The fostering period can be anywhere from one week to eight weeks – each situation is different. Mums with new born babies rely on finding special foster homes. These carers would be prepared to keep all of them together for five weeks, at least, until mum can return to the shelter to be desexed and rehomed. Every situation is different but you can be sure that each and every animal need your help and are very grateful to have a temporary home with a family who can love them.
The AWLQ provides food, bedding, bowls and everything else you can think of needed to care for the animal – they just nee you to provide the space and the time helping the animal recover.
If you would like to learn more about Fostering or about the AWLQ Click here
One thought on “The adventures of a foster dog”
So happy to hear Rusty has been given a clean bill of health, some lucky family will make him theirs soon. Hard to believe that such a lovely boy was abandoned, hopefully karma will come back and bite his former ‘owners’ on the…